Miami University Online Catalog
Search By: Keyword, Author, Title or Subject Heading
Limit By: General Topic and Where The Item is Located
Look For: Call Number, Location, and Availability
Request Item for delivery from other MU Libraries
Continue Searching in OhioLINK for unavailable titles
Find Scholarly Articles
You’ll need to enter your Miami Unique ID and password to access these resources from off-campus.
- Academic Search Complete
Tip: Click “Choose Databases” to add in Historical Abstracts, MLA International Bibliography, and others that are relevant to your topic. You can also limit to Scholarly/Peer Reviewed publications. Tutorial on using Academic Search Complete
Use the button to look for full-text!
- JSTOR – Full text scholarly journal articles. Most JSTOR articles are at least 3-5 years old. Tutorial on using JSTOR
Database Search Tips
“And”, “Or”, “Not” (Boolean Operators): Use the words to narrow or expand your search results. For Example:
- “dracula” AND “transylvania” will return results that contain BOTH of the terms.
- “Adolescent” OR “Juvenile” OR “Teen” will return results that contain at least one of the terms. Useful for words with similar meanings.
- “Euthanasia” NOT “Animals” will return results that do not cover putting your pet to sleep.
Brainstorm words or concepts that are similar in meaning and use those as search terms. If you find a good resource, look at the “Subject Headings” or “Descriptors” listed and use those as additional search terms.
Bibliographies/References/Works Cited pages are great ways to find additional resources. You can search the library’s Catalogs and/or Databases.
Citing Your Sources
- The OWL Purdue’s Online Writing Lab: MLA
- Free Citation Generator: BibMe
- Free Citation Generator: Son of Citation Machine
Get Research Help!